Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Libraries offer options for those with dyslexia:
- Audio books - can combine with paper books for more impact
- Large print books
- Digital books - able to change fonts, font size, background color, etc
- Hi/Lo books - age appropriate themes combined with easy reading
- 'Reading Paws' - dogs provide a calming non-judgmental presence
- Librarians - get to know them!
Saturday, October 24, 2020
In 1965, Admiral James B Stockdale became Vietnam's highest ranking POW. Stockdale spent nearly eight years in the infamous "Hanoi Hilton"; beaten, tortured, confined to a 3' x9' windowless concrete cell, denied medical care, as well as letters from home.
Stockton was later interviewed about his coping strategies. When asked about which prisoners didn't make it, he replied, "Oh, that's easy, the optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, 'We're going to be out by Christmas.' And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they'd say, 'We're going to be out by Easter.' And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart. This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."
Remaining Early Voting Hours:
Saturday, October 24, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday, October 25, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday, October 26 to Friday, October 30, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Features of the new website include:
- a new catalog, allowing patrons a more positive experience when tracking holds in their accounts, creating lists as well as rating books and finding reading recommendations from other users or librarians
- a new events calendar, which will allow patrons to search events system-wide based on location, interests, ages and more
- improved search capabilities
- simple navigation
- streamlined pages for each library branch, highlighting features of the branch, hours of operation and more
Friday, October 16, 2020
Early voting for the November 3, 2020 General Election begins Oct. 12 and ends Oct. 30. Voters can head to the early voting polling sites during the following days and times.
Monday, Oct. 26 to Friday, Oct. 30: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday Voting: Oct. 17 and 24, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday Voting: Oct. 18 and 25, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Northeast/Spruill Oaks Library, 9560 Spruill Road, Johns Creek 30022 is now also available for curbside pickup. Click here for a full listing of libraries providing curbside services, phone numbers and hours.
To pick up library materials on hold, residents are asked to:
• Bring their library or photo ID to the branch where their items are being held
• Follow signs to designated parking spaces for curbside service (or to designated tables for walk-up services)
• Call the number on signs to alert a staff member that they have arrived and provide their name
• Show the staff member photo ID or library card through closed window
• Open/unlock trunk or back seat door to allow library staff to place items in their vehicle
• Walk-up patrons will use social distancing to provide ID and receive materials in front of branches